History of Giuseppe's
Giuseppe’s has been serving St. Louisans for over 80 years, although it hasn’t always been named “Giuseppe’s”. Rosario’s Restaurant on 10th and Franklin introduced the original southern Italian fresh cooking style to St. Louis in 1927. In 1933, Jasper Bonaventre purchased the restaurant and changed the name to Rose’s. During his ownership, Rose’s became one of downtown St. Louis’s premier meeting places. In the late 1940s, Rose’s became a favorite late-night restaurant for pizzas after an evening aboard the Admiral. On any given Saturday night it would not be unusual to see a long line outside the door at 2:00 am.
In 1973, the traditional recipes of Rose’s almost came to an end when it was razed to make way for the St. Louis Convention Center. Fortunately, their chef of 20 years, Giuseppe (Joseph) Pugliese, continued the tradition when he moved to Grand and Meramec. He named the restaurant after himself and began serving pizza, signature meatballs and Italian specialties. Word quickly spread that the same popular Rose’s Italian food was being served at Giuseppe’s. Between 1974 and 1985, the restaurant bought three additional storefronts, expanding to include a dining room, bar and lounge area.
In 2003, after spending nearly 30 years building their restaurant, Joe and Antoinette sold Giuseppe’s to native St. Louisans and brothers-in-law, Eric Stockmann and Mark Manfrede. Still offering “white tablecloth lunches” as it did in the beginning, Giuseppe’s remains a favorite dining spot. Today, the restaurant also offers carryout service, breakfast and lunch catering to your office, dinner catering, private event rooms and valet parking. With the help of loyal customers, Giuseppe’s will be celebrating its 100th anniversary someday, still offering the original recipes first introduced to St. Louis in 1927.